Court Procedures

Requesting A Continuance

If you need time to consult with an attorney to explore the impact of a conviction, or for other demonstrable good cause shown, you may request a continuance. If your request is granted by the judge, you will be given a new court date. Do not request a continuance unless you truly feel you need one. It is uncommon for a party to be granted more than one continuance.


Trials are conducted as a "trial to the court" before Judge Weigel. There are no juries. The city has the burden of proof with evidence that is clear, satisfactory, and convincing. The rules of evidence are followed. The city will be represented by its municipal prosecutor. Defendants who wish to hire an attorney need to timely do so.  If a defendant wishes to have witnesses testify at trial, it is his/her responsibility to ask for a subpoena well before the time of trial.

Paying Fines (Forfeitures)

If a forfeiture is imposed, the clerk will hand you a reminder slip showing the citation number, the amount owed, the due date, and the payment address. Judge Weigel always provides at least 30 days to pay fines, and will grant reasonable requests for additional time to pay under extenuating circumstances.

It is very important that payment is made by the due date. Failure to pay can result in significant consequences, including but not necessarily limited to suspension of a drivers license of up to 1 year, issuance of an arrest warrant, and referral to a state or collection agency, and you may incur extra charges. If you are demonstrably unable to pay your forfeiture in full prior to the due date, you can contact the clerk to obtain a court date to request an extension.


It is very important that defendants understand the nature of the charge(s) against them, their legal rights, and the possible consequences. If we are notified that a defendant needs an interpreter, one will be provided at no charge to the defendant.

Police Department

The police department is not the municipal court and police personnel have no control over the municipal court's processing of matters. Court questions and correspondence should be directed to the Municipal Court Clerk, and not to the police department.


Verona Municipal Court only handles traffic forfeitures and municipal ordinance violations. As these are not criminal offenses, the court will not appoint an attorney to represent you. Whether you choose to hire a lawyer is entirely up to you.


Judge Weigel cannot communicate with either party (the city or the defendant) about the merits of a pending matter unless the other party is included. Written communications to the Court must be copied to the opposing party.

Recording of Courtroom Proceedings

No real-time streaming or recording of Verona court proceedings is allowed without the specific permission of the judge.