Verona Water Rate Study 2018
The Verona Water Utility filed an application with the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin (PSC-W) to increase water rates in July 2018. Below is a series of documents related to the rate case such as public hearing notice, draft rates, and anticipated implementation. Here is a what, why, and when in regards to the rate case.
The water utility is a self-sustaining enterprise fund operated by the Public Works Department and governed by the City of Verona Public Works, Sewer, & Water Committee and ultimately Common Council. The water utility applied for a rate increase to the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin (PSC-W) – Water Division in July of 2018.
Attached below is an estimated rate structure prepared by PSC-W staff that will be presented to the PSC-W Commission for action.
The most recent rate cases implemented by the water utility were as follows:
1. 2016 – simplified rate increase, increases set annual by PSC-W
2. 2011 – conventional rate increase
3. 2001 – rate increase
4. 1998 – rate increase
Since the last conventional rate increase in 2011 the water utility has experienced the following:
A. Operating & maintenance expenses have increased 13% (average of 1.6% per year)
B. Total operating expenses have increased 57% since 2011
C. Over last eight years the utility has invested over $10 million in infrastructure resulting in
- 126% increase in rate base
- Rate base is the value of property on which a public utility is permitted to earn a specified rate of return, in accordance with rules set by a regulatory agency. In general, the rate base consists of the value of property as used by the utility in providing service
- 136% increase in depreciation of assets
- Assets are defined but not limited to water mains piping, valves, and hydrants.
- 80% increase in tax equivalent payment
- Tax equivalent payment is payment made to the City of Verona lieu of property taxes
D. Revenues have only increased 18% based on customer and usage growth
Order and New Rates
The Verona Water Utility has received the order from the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin (PSCW) to increase water rates. The new water rates are linked below.
The new water rates will be effective September 16, 2019 and will show on your fourth quarter bill for 2019.
Authorized New Rates - See documents below.
The Verona water utility will look to use simplified rate increases to follow inflation and reduce the percentage of the conventional rate increases.
- Authorized New Rate - Additional Meter Rental Charge.pdf
- Authorized New Rate - General Service Suburban.pdf
- Authorized New Rate - General Service Metered Multifamily Residental.pdf
- 6100-WR-103 Ex.-PSC-COSS and Rate Design Verona.pdf
- Rate Design Summary from 6100-WR-103 Ex.-PSC-COSS and Rate Design Verona....pdf
- Verona Water Utility_Rate Case_Public Hearing Notice_2019-07-03.pdf
- Verona Water Rate Study 2018 cover letter.pdf
- Authorized New Rate - Private Fire Protection Service Unmetered.pdf
- Authorized New Rate - Public Fire Protection Service.pdf
- Authorized New Rate - General Service Metered Nonresidental.pdf
- Authorized New Rate - General Service Metered Residental.pdf
- 6100-WR-103 Customer Notice Verona_2019-07-02.pdf
- Verona Water Rate Study 2018.pdf